Tuna Hotdish


My mom has been serving up her famous Tuna Cashew Hotdish/Casserole/Bake for decades. I gave it my own healthy twist and I hope you'll give it a try. It's a creamy, savory dish that doesn't take much time to throw together. You can add it in a wrap with lettuce, or eat it with crackers, celery or cucumbers. The Nutritional yeast lends it a cheesy tuna melt flavor we miss in our dairy free meals. This can easily be adapted to any dietary needs.

On top the spices and hemp hearts, make your dollops of mayonnaise or desired sauce.* Then slice up the avocado for that extra rich creamy texture and bonus omegas.

I'm a huge Costco shopper, I love bulk with my big family, so these are the brands I go for.


Chop those vegetables to your desired crunch factor. My children prefer to have everything looking prechewed so as to not notice that there are vegetables in it. So sad. I love the pretty bursts of color. I more often buy red onions for that brilliant pop of purply red. I also love the addition of the cashews for a unique crunch.

Stir it all together and spread it even.

Get this all warmed up in the oven for about 20 minutes until desired temperature, as it is safe to eat cold as well. If you add any cheese or dairy free cheese, stir in after it comes out of the oven.

Luckily I got a quick pic of the dish cooked before it was gone. mmmm This only lasts in the fridge a day or two as leftovers, because it begins to get watery from the ingredients.

Tuna Hotdish Recipe
Serves 8

5 cans Tuna
1 Avocado
1 c Mayonnaise
4 Celery stalks, diced
1/2 White Onion, diced
1/2 C Nutritional Yeast
1/3 C Hemp Hearts
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Seasoned Salt
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cashews, optional
Cheese, optional

Mix together in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake 350 degrees for 20min.
Serve with Lettuce wrap, Crackers, Cucumbers or Celery!


*You might also enjoy this Primal Kitchen Garlic Alfredo Sauce or a Coconut Cream base in place of mayonnaise or cream of mushroom soup.



 

Comments