Ludy's Sweet Refrigerator Pickles

 I'm a give me a bowl pickle-eater, like all the pickle-eaters in my family. While I'm not picky about my pickles,  I do have two favorites.  Our family likes most my Grandmother's sweet pickle recipe,  and my Mother-in-law's garlic dill recipe. This recipe below was passed onto me by my Grandmother,  Ludmila "Ludy" (Matasovzky) Maltzen, my father's mother. It's soaked in a sweet, sticky brine/syrup for snacking or ontop of your favorite American dish like burgers,  pickles and chili. mmmm my mouth is already watering! 

SWEET REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

These are not canned for the shelf,  but meant to be refrigerated and eaten between weeks 2-4. 


First slice and dice into a bowl 3 quarts full of:

Cucumbers (or zucchini), aprx 12 med,  slices or diced for relish

2 Green Peppers,  diced (optional use other colors)

1 lg White Onion,  diced

Mix evenly,  and pack firmly into a sterile canning jar until 1/2 in (1cm) from the top.


On the stove in a pot, bring this brine to a boil:

3 cups Apple Cider Vinegar

3 cups White Sugar

1/3 cup Pickling/Canning Salt

1 tsp Mustard Seeds

1 tsp Celery Seeds

1/2 tsp Tumeric

Stir with a whisk,  dissolving sugar.  After it begins boiling, turn off the heat and pour brine over the cucumber mix in the jars until covered.  If you run short, you can top off with a small amount of water or AC vinegar. 

Close up jars with a canning lid set. Let sit on counter until room temperature. Then put in fridge for at least 1 week to ferment.  Eat within a couple weeks after opening, if they last that long. 

*This spot reserved for when I find a picture of grandma!*

Comments