Polish Mistakes

When I learned how to make these with my mom with a French Canadian - English ancestry,  it was simply one of my favorite, savory, open top sandwiches. Then I married a part Polish man, and it just tastes funnier!

We typically make these on a large rye or pumpernickel bread, and serve as a main dish.  But they make a great appetizer for parties and holiday spreads if you can find those little cocktail rye breads. I often find them near the artisan breads by the grocery bakery. Either way,  num! Every bite I can't help but want another. 

Polish Mistakes (Savory Sausage Cheese Bites)
makes 40-45 appetizer servings

1 pkg Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage (cooked, drained and crumbled)
1 lb Ground Beef (cooked, drained, crumbled)
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed
1 pkg party rye bread (or use larger rye/pumpernickel bread for a main course)


Cook meats, adding in sauces and ketchup. Then melt over with cheese cubes. Let it cool and thicken a bit, then spoon over rye bread. Bake in oven at 350* for 8-10 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Serve immediately or cooled.

*And,  no, I have no idea why they're are named this. They are no mistake!

Comments

This one is particularily funny because my husband's side is half Polish and excellent cooks. It is one of my nummiest favorites my mom used to make for us when I was a teenager at home.
Anonymous said…
What kind of pepper sauce should we use in this recipe?
I used tobasco sauce, but it is not necessary.