Carrot Top Tabbouleh Salad

Do you have any favorite CARROT TOP RECIPES? 

I thinned out my rows, harvesting these delicious roots. But if there's something to be made with this huge pile of tops, I don't want to toss them. All organic. We want our kids to learn to be resourceful and not just stick with what they are familiar. 

2 Corinthians 9:6-8 "The point is this: he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that you may always have enough of everything and may provide in abundance for every good work."

When asking my friends, they mentioned carrot top tabbouleh. I looked over a few recipes for inspiration and this is what I made. It was FABULOUS! 


Wow, what a great dish that used up a lot of my tiny carrots and tops. My kids aren't fond of tomatoes, so i added cucumbers with only a little tomato for color. I used ancient grains in place of bulgar. It's so zingy, Mediterranean. I love it! Having with grilled chicken.


Feeds 12 as a side

Ingredients

1 cup Ancient Grains, cooked and cooled

4 cups Carrot Tops, chopped

4 cucumbers,  diced

1 Tomato,  diced

2 cups Chopped Carrots

¼ cup Fresh Mint, minced

1 Med Onion, minced

Salt to taste


For the Dressing

1/2 cup Olive Oil

1/4 C Lemon Juice

2 Clove Garlic, minced


Instructions

Cook ancient grains (or rice or other grain) according to directions.  Cool,  or use leftovers. 

Chop all veggies as described into a bowl,  and add in the cooled grain.

Make the dressing by combining ingredients in a jar or bowl,  shake or stir,  then pour over salad. Toss until coated. 

Refrigerate for at least an hour for flavors to combine. Taste and add salt sparingly, if needed.

*The leftovers stayed crisp in the fridge for days! 


Comments